when our founder, morgan smith, first visited this charming coastal town, she immediately fell in love with the people, culture and bright energy. now, her family (and minnow headquarters!) calls charleston home. discover all her favorite places to stay, eat and visit during your next family vacation.
a charming boutique property (with a fabulous restaurant) that is nestled in a small neighborhood just across the bridge in mount pleasant.
insider tip: room 6 is perfect for families, with a separate room that has a pullout sofa.
located right off king street, it’s known for the extremely spacious apartment-style rooms and residences that are ideal for families.
rent a house
there are endless places to stay for longer visits. we recommend the cottages on charleston harbour. it's great for families and located right on the water, with plenty of open space for your children to run around — plus, it has a swimming pool. when staying here, you have access to beach cruisers for a ride into downtown. also, each two-bedroom cottage has a private screened-in porch, kitchen and washer and dryer.
a ‘must visit’ for a reason! known for their oysters and raw bar — we also suggest trying the classic lobster roll and po’ boy. insider tip: stop by to put your name on the list, then wander in and out of the shops on king street while you wait! also, while they don’t have a kid’s menu, the tacos are great for even the pickiest eaters.
situated on the roof of the midcentury designed dewberry hotel, this is a favorite happy hour spot before date night downtown. the panoramic view of the city and harbor is breathtaking, especially at sunset.
for date night
enjoy a leisurely lunch on the patio for a quintessential charleston experience. it's super casual (walk-in only) so your children can unwind. the fried chicken can’t be missed!
- millers all day is the place to be for a great southern breakfast. everyone flocks here for their locally sourced ingredients, including their famous grits.
- it's not a trip to charleston without a buttery biscuit from callie’s hot little biscuit…
- gospel brunch at halls is a fun family experience that you’ll be singing about for days to come — the southern hospitality here is unmatched. don't forget to grab a handful of colorful jelly beans on your way out!
- our favorite spot for a refreshing treat is at beardcat’s sweet shop on sullivan’s island (try the frozen lemonade!).
- if your downtown, you can’t miss grabbing a cupcake from sugar bakeshop.
family beach day on sullivan’s island
spend an afternoon on the water
- charleston boat experience is a family-friendly boating option complete with a scavenger hunt on board just for kids.
- charter a hinckley picnic boat from charleston classic yachts.
- check out coastal expeditions for kayak and stand-up paddle board rentals.
- take the water taxi from patriots point to the south carolina aquarium
- a perfect way to beat the afternoon heat. make sure to book your tickets ahead of time through the concierge!
- stroll downtown for an up-close look at some of the most historic homes, complete with stories by charlestonian, tyler page wright.
a favorite pastime in the summer. head out to the pitt street bridge with the whole family to catch supper.
for a special mother-daughter outing, visit camellias at the hotel bennett, located in the heart of downtown. call ahead to make a reservation!
- under the almond tree is a children’s boutique filled with everything you need from clothing to toys
- elizabeth stuart, located in mount pleasant, is a must-see for all things outdoor and gardening